If you happen to stumble across this blog it may not be of much interest to you... But, for those of you in my life wanting to keep up, the words below are plenty. This is a journey of my life this past year, a newly single mother trying to figure out how to live life to the fullest! In the beginning there was an attempt at daily posts, now I am lucky if I get my fingers on the keyboard every week! I write about life, living and all of the fun stuff in between. If and when I am lucky, I throw in a bit of love! Let me tell you I am experiencing it all, and relishing every bit of it! It all started in July of 2010... if you want to catch all of the good stuff from the beginning, you might want to start there first...

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

85 days to go...

Day 280 - A little birdie said I was taking too long to post, need I remind her I am in the middle of moving, and currently pirating off of my neighbors wi-fi!

With my upcoming move I am in need of a refrigerator, and in needing so, I have determined my life is much like shopping for appliances.... Sad analogy but here goes, let's just hope I get my point across and do it justice!

For the past year I have been in living in a great condo, equipped with absolutely beautiful state of the art appliances. I have become accustomed to their individual features and almost dependent on them. We all know I love food, but in my family there wasn't always enough room in the kitchen for me to cook, I usually was put on the aesthetics committee or desserts. This kitchen brought the cook out of me, it is still young and learning, but I have spent the last year getting my dishes dirty!

I have been researching fridges for nearly 4 weeks, checking online sales and visiting local shops. The problem is, I know what I want, and know I can't have it (so like my life)! And why can't I have it... I'm moving to a rental, it's not my final place, who knows the longevity, and I have NO business spending absurd amounts of money on this appliance, especially when there are such extreme ranges on prices. At some point I turned to craigslist... and last night completed my first purchase. Now craigslist is all about strategic planning and compromise. It was a means to get close to what I want, and only sacrifice a few luxuries. I really had simple requests, but for some reason they were the few items that kept bringing the price up... I wanted a bottom freezer, cabinet depth, and an internal water dispenser. It could be black or stainless, that wasn't a requirement, the others were.

So I went out on my quest, searching for my perfect combo... my "recipe" of items that would make me happy! I broadened my buying area to obviously increase my chances of finding the perfect match. Last week I got really close, I found exactly what I was looking for, but of course no response from the seller. This quickly became a game of timing, I had to be one of the first ones calling, and flexible with my schedule, if I didn't show up cash in hand... the unit was gone to the next guy. This was serious business! I actually went out of town this weekend and totally ruined my chances on a few great models, lesson learned! Yesterday I printed at least 15 contenders... called and emailed the sellers and got a response from a few. I organized my findings first by price, then started narrowing in based on my "requirements", what was I willing to forgo to keep within my budget... and low and behold... there it was, my perfect recipe... well almost!

Next was the challenge of safety, here I am a single, fairly attractive woman, headed to the barrios of Santa Ana to check out a refrigerator some guy has in his garage! My girlfriend said I was absolutely crazy and that I needed to take a guy with me. As if I have a rolodex available for my liking, if that were the case I probably wouldn't be so enthralled with fridge shopping! Needless to say I took all safety measures available and bought the darn thing... it gets delivered on Wednesday. Lets just hope the unit works if not, I know where the guy lives, along with several other scary looking guys!

The point of my rambling... and boy did I have plenty to say, is deep down I know what I want, and what I am willing to sacrifice. I put a considerable amount of time and energy into this damn task, it was important to me.
Now if I would just do the same with my own life I am bound to find the perfect one... If only everyone was on craigslist and in my budget!

No comments:

Post a Comment